Some objects transcend us to the past; they remind us of the attic in our grandparent’s house or that one ancient vault where old letters, postage stamps, and equipment were kept. Gramophones, typewriters or the huge black-and-white televisions are all things that have an emotional value attached, especially for those born just at the brink of the information age.
No matter whether you are a sound enthusiast or just a collector of old items, record players— – contemporarily known as turntables will always strike you with their classic style and retro looks.
Albeit, things have come a long way in terms of how simple record players have transformed into turntables which are modern music players, the essential function of entertaining listeners with soulful music has remained the same.
Equipped with USB outputs and built-in Bluetooth connectivity, turntables are portable, beautiful, and unique.
With added features comes complexity and to help you buy a new Bluetooth turntable, we are putting together a comprehensive list that will help you in making a well-informed decision.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Turntable
It is important to understand some basics before we introduce our recommendations to you. The quality of sound that a turntable produces is often dependent on the level of damping. The compression of vibrations inside the turntable is called damping.
Different motor configurations and production materials are used to ensure that the audio isn’t leaking or producing a buzzing sound, which can be irritating to the listener.
While preparing this comprehensive list, we were introduced to myriads of music aficionados, audiophiles, and sound enthusiasts who taught us that belt-driven turntables are smoother and quieter compared to their direct driven counterparts.
Direct driven machines have a rotary motor that is rotating just below the platter, thus offering a lower level of fidelity.
But, there are impeccable direct driven turntables that produce every keynote, every symphony, and every beat.
The last factor to consider before buying a turntable is understanding personal preferences.
Some people might not have access to diverse music discs (records) near them, so their consideration pool would include turntables that have USB or Bluetooth connectivity.
What is Turntablism?
Turntablism is the art of manipulating turntables to produce sounds. This technique is used mainly by DJs to create a blend of hip-hop and R ‘n’ B music. But it can also be used for other genres.
Who Created Turntables?
While there’s a debate regarding who invented turntables, the credit for the first phonograph goes to Thomas Edison. He’s credited with inventing the first record player.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at some of the best Bluetooth turntables of 2019:
With excellent build quality and beautiful mid-ranges, HOFEINZ is the epitome of aesthetics combined with functionalities. The device supports 3-speed of vinyl records (33, 45 & 78 RPM), and features 2-way stereo speakers for loud, clear, and crisp sounds. However, we also compiled a more comprehensive list of best vintage record players.
Perfectly optimized for vocal sounds, this turntable can easily connect with smartphones, home assistants, and laptops via Bluetooth.
- 12-month warranty
- Easy USB recording
- Capable of playing all speeds of records
- Bluetooth-out not supported
- No pre-amplifier
- Retro & Fresh: Premium furniture grade solid wood appearance with high glossy color.
- Turntable: Supports 3-speed (33/45/78 RPM) of vinyl records; Belt driven turntable with diamond stylus
- Audio Performance: Built-in full range 2-way stereo speakers produce optimized clarity of sound for all styles of music
- Wireless connection: Bluetooth-in is compatible to play music via your smart device (iPhone, Android, tablet, etc.)
- User-friendly Vinyl-to-USB Recording: Transform your vinyl record to MP3 into USB for playback. No software/CD is needed for recording.
Produced by GooBang Boo, ABOX Bluetooth Turntable is a masterpiece, which is made up of the classic oak wooden structure. Its unique look with the vertical platter of disc record makes it eye-appealing. The vinyl disc will be produced in an upright position. Similar to our previous recommendation, this turntable also plays all three record speeds. It can easily play the record speeds of 33.3, 45, and 78 RPM. This turntable is perfect for music fanatics who have old records inherited by parents or grandparents.
- Built-in speakers
- Unique design
- Comes with extra ceramic needle
- Best transfer speed
- Built-in speakers are substandard
- The vertical platter can make the disc revolve in a wobbly manner
This turntable is a belt-driven record player which means that it has the old retro sound quality. With crisp treble and clear vocals, this product is a piece of art. Victoria is one of the oldest brands working in the industry, and this product is just another feature in its cap. Their legacy remains intact, and this turntable leaves no stone unturned to portray their relevance in this century. With similar characteristics like our previous suggestions, Victrola 50’s Retro Turntable is an iconic device that is capable of playing all three-speed ranges. It also has a CD Player, built-in radio, and MP3 recorder. Along with this beautiful turntable, buyers will also get connecting cables and software capable of turning vinyl records into mp3 formats.
- The CD player and radio built-in
- USB encoding
- Capable of playing all three speeds
- One of the cheapest and most versatile options available
- Belt-driven turntables often have to get the elastic belt replaced
- With multiple features, the turntable is a heavy box
- 3-Speed Turntable (33 1/3, 45, 78 RPM)
- USB Encoding: Connect to PC via USB and Easy-to-Use Recording Software (PC and Mac Compatible)
- Bluetooth Wirelessly Streams Music up to 33 Feet Away
- AM/FM Radio with Backlit Tuner
- 3.5mm Aux-In and Headphone Jack
- Built in CD Player
This option is perfect for novice music enthusiasts or musicians who are new to the world of record players. Audio Technica AT-LP60BK-BT is easy to use, affordable and equipped with advanced features. The belt-driven turntable can connect with different Bluetooth devices. Unlike other belt-driven record players, this device doesn’t have a platter joined directly with the motor which prevents noise leakage. The analog and digital aspects of Audio Technica AT-LP60BK-BT make it one of the hot selling products on Amazon. This turntable is only capable of playing two record speeds, 33.3 and 45 RPM.
- Top-notch quality of platter
- Connectivity with almost eight devices
- built-in pre-amplifier
- Lacks an adjustable tonearm weight
- Capable of playing at only 33.3 and 45 RPM
- Rediscover your classic 33-1/3 and 45 RPM records on this affordable, fully automatic belt-drive turntable
- Connect wirelessly to Bluetooth-equipped audio devices or to wired audio systems and speakers via included dual RCA output cable
- Up to 8 different Bluetooth device profiles can be stored in system memory for quick connections. Signal-to-Noise Ratio- >50 dB (DIN-B)
- Platter is made of anti-resonance, die-cast aluminum to minimize vibration; Maximum Communication Range: Line of sight - approx. 10 m (30')
- Features Integral Audio-Technica Dual Magnet phono cartridge with replaceable diamond stylus
Luxurious walnut finish with aluminum controls, Akai Professional BT500 is capable of streaming music wirelessly. This turntable doesn’t have a built-in speaker which is a major drawback, but its adjustable feet make it an attractive package. The refined design of this turntable makes it an obvious choice for corporate landscapes where executives can decorate their space with Akai Professional BT500. The turntable cannot only play music from connected Bluetooth devices, but it can also connect to external woofers and amplifiers. On the functional side of this device, the high-torque DC motor benefits the listeners in the form of no vibration and no music distortions.
- Bluetooth-out supported
- Sound quality is premium
- Adjustable feet and ergonomics-based positions
- Comparatively expensive
- Capable of playing only two records speeds (33.3 and 45 RPM)
Produced by 1byone, this turntable is easy to use, belt-driven and inculcated with several useful options. The intertwining of traditional style and modern technology makes this option a bang for the buck. Capable of playing three different record speeds and Bluetooth connectivity makes this vinyl player a classic option for consumers on a budget.
- Connectivity with external speakers through RCA
- Provides optimized sounds
- Transforms vinyl records into an mp3 format
- Built-in stereo speakers
- Higher prices compared to the functions offered
- Traditional Style, Solid Wood Appearance & Dust Cover - with selectable 33/ 45/ 78 PRM speeds settings
- Vinyl-to-MP3 Recording - the ability to transform Audio from vinyl records into USB MP3 format and save it on your MP3 player
- Built-in Full Range Stereo Speakers - the stereo active 2-way crossover system creates an optimized sound and clarity across all genres of music
- Bluetooth & Plug and Play - play music from all your favorite compatible devices(iPhone, Android, smartphone, tablet, PC, usb-mp3 player, etc. ) Through the turntable's speakers. Connect the Turntable to an external speaker through RCA
- Classic Turntable Design with Modern Technology - a balanced blend of modernity and mid-century charm, but with all modern key features
Known for its quality performance, this turntable is produced by ION Audio. The lightweight construction and headphone output make this turntable distinct from its competitors. Capable of transforming vinyl records into digital files using USB, this turntable has a peripheral 1/8 input aux outlet as well. The ION Audio provides protective dust cover, cleaning brush, and slide feeder along with the purchase of this turntable.
- Durability guaranteed due to robust design
- Universal compatibility with all devices and operating software
- Allows for private listening
- Direct connectivity with a stereo system
- Bluetooth takes longer to connect
- Complaints about the quality of cartridge (stylus)
- Unleash Your Record Collection - Stream your vinyl wirelessly via Bluetooth; simply pair the turntable with your speaker and enjoy fuss-free connectivity with a 10m range
- Traditional Connectivity Covered - Discretely located RCA ports for playback through an existing wired speaker system and a 1/8-inch headphone output for private listening
- The Style-Driven Centrepiece of Your Listening Experience - 1/8-inch Aux input and included cable to convert (or stream wirelessly) from other media sources including cassette players/CD players; plus, the elegant piano black finish makes ION Audio's Air LP an ideal addition to any room
- Play Your Entire Record Collection - Plays and converts 33 1/3, 45 and 78 RPM records (78 RPM stylus sold separately)
- Update Your Library - Convert tracks into digital files via USB onto your PC or Mac with the included ION Audio EZ conversion software
If boomboxes have fascinated you in the past, then this is the turntable designed only for you. Classic Retro looks cool and funky. With digital panels engraved on the front surface to tell different details, this turntable can be operated completed with a remote. The radio can feature 20 presets. Toggling between bass and treble options, the sound can be customized to a certain extent. The balance control and aluminum design is a perfect replacement for the traditional home-theatre system.
- Affordable price
- Unique design with speakers
- CD Player and FM radio are added benefits
- The system can get complicated at times
- Speaker grills are dust sensitive
- Built-in Bluetooth to wirelessly play music from your Bluetooth enabled device. No cords needed.
- Built-in CD Player and full function remote control. Adjustable Bass, Treble, and Balance control with brushed aluminum knobs.
- 50 watts of stereo sound. Removable speaker grills and Dual VU Meters for a true classic feel.
- Digital PLL FM radio with 20 presets. Bright backlit blue display helps you find your station easily
This turntable is very different from the recommendations made prior. Equipped with 2,100 mAh battery and unique suitcase design, this device is an epitome of portability and perfection. By default, this turntable comes with a 45 RPM adapter, but it is capable of playing records at 33.3 and 78 RPM. With the USB port, all your favorite vinyl records can be converted to mp3 format. Inside the box, we get an extra stylus needle and 12-month warranty for consumer service.
- Briefcase design facilitates portability
- Built-in speakers
- RCA output allows private listening
- Rechargeable battery
- Poor customer service
- Portable Suitcase Design: Wooden cabinet with PU leather wrapping. Suitcase design with easy carry handle
- 3 Speed Record Player: Adjustable to play 33 1/3, 45 or 78 RPM records. Come with 45RPM Adaptor
- Vinyl-to-MP3 Recording: Capable of recording high quality MP3 audio from a vinyl record to an SD card or via USB for later playback on your computer and mobile devices
- Multifunction: Bluetooth, Rechargable battery 2100mA, Built-in stereo speakers, RCA output, Headphone jack for private listening and Auxiliary input for smartphone and home stereo
- What You Get: Musitrend 3 Speed Turntable, box package, manual in English, 1 Replacement Stylus Needle and 12-month warranty and 24 hours customer service
The wooden structure, polished surface, and classic design, this record player will bring feelings of nostalgia to you. Classic knobs and retro looking frequency meter, this turntable is made with mahogany. With three record playing speeds, this turntable doesn’t require any cables for connecting with external devices. The device also has a 3.5mm AUX jack for using peripheral headphones and speakers.
- The classic look of the turntable
- Built-in cassette player, USB slots, and FM radio
- Remote control included with the package
- Device is bulky
- Speakers produce an echo sound
- Three-speed Turntable (33 1/3, 45, 78 RPM) plays all of your vinyl records and favorite Albums
- Built-in Bluetooth to wirelessly play music from your Bluetooth enabled device. No cords needed.
- Record directly from vinyl, CD, and cassette directly to USB. No computer needed!
- Built-in CD, Cassette and AM/FM radio with Rotary tuner
- 3.5mm aux-in for music from any non-bluetooth device (includes cable), RCA aux-in and headphone jack
Features to Consider Before Buying A Turntable
Now that we have concluded our recommendations, it is imperative to highlight some of the guidelines that buyers must keep in mind before purchasing a turntable. The following features must be considered:
1. Rotating Speed
While we use mp3 formats or stream our music live nowadays, we are often unable to understand the significance of rotating speed when it comes to turntables. Different records play at different rotating speeds. The old vinyl records which played at 78 RPM often had only 3-4 minutes worth of playback time. These records not only had limited capacity, but the quality of sound also deteriorated with time due to the wear and tear. If you have a lot of old records passed on by your ancestors, then it would be a good idea to buy a turntable capable of playing records at all three speeds (33.3, 45, and 78 RPM).
2. Bluetooth Capacity
The connectivity range is also essential when selecting a turntable with Bluetooth capacity. Thirty feet is a safe distance that is the minimum range. Beyond that, the price slabs augment considerably high whereas below 30 feet is a risky proposition. Faster connectivity and transfer speed are two important factors.
There are two types of Bluetooth functionalities; some turntables are capable of only receiving or playing songs from external devices like smartphones, whereas some turntables are also capable of outputting the audio through AUX or Bluetooth connectivity to speakers.
3. Types of Turntable
The rotary motor in the turntable plays an important role in producing sounds. There are two types of turntables, direct-driven, and belt-driven. Both have unique functionalities along with their advantages and disadvantages.
The direct-driven type rotates the platter in close proximity with the motor. When the motor directly revolves the platter, the playback speed is constant and stable. Less noise distraction is created with this mechanism which also reduces vibrations.
On the other hand, the belt-driven mechanism works in such a manner that the platter is indirectly connected with an elastic band which rotates the record. Less accurate speeds impede the correct flow of sound.
4. Stylus Features
When the needle-shaped tip is rotated against the record grooves, the sound of the vinyl is produced. This cartridge is removable and is often replaced after wear and tear. To stop the playing of the record, the stylus is moved upward to move to the inactive state.
Smooth surfaces that move the disc play an important role. They have two important functions; the platter ensures a consistent playback speed and compresses the noise level. The platter must be firm and rigid; loose ends might create a floppy sound or create excessive vibrations.
The more stable the platter is, the less resonant it will be, and this would reduce vibrations filtering between the interaction of grooves and stylus.