You might have come across recent developments like the sudden surge in demand for vinyl records or the penetration of established music brands into the production of turntables. It might be a wrong claim to make that “vinyl records are making a comeback” or “turntables are once again entering the households as music players.”
Record players – popularly known as turntables have always been on the landscape, the contemporary ones are just diverse and dynamic enough to replace full-fledged music systems. From Ariana Grande to Mariah Carey, some musicians have released their recent track albums on vinyl records – which is a clear sign that turntables are here to stay and maybe even replace a lot of entertaining devices that we currently possess.
The millennials were born at a time when boomboxes were ruling the streets, and Walkman was all set to enter the market. Unlike portable radio sets or contemporary music systems, turntables are complicated devices; they are sophisticated and require a certain degree of expertise to operate.
This list not only explores the best turntables of 2019 under the price slab of $200, but the buying guide would also advise on the ease-of-usability, affordability, and sound quality.
Audio-Technica is known for its simple, easy to use turntables. This variant is no different from its predecessors in terms of premium quality and affordable price.
With a striking aluminum look, the stylus pulls down when the music has to be played, and automatically raises the tonearm once the grooves on the record end. The player’s belt-driven design works perfectly to minimize any sound leakage and mitigate any vibrations produced by the movements of the platter.
- Rediscover your classic 33-1/3 and 45 RPM records on this affordable, fully automatic belt-drive turntable
- Built-in switchable phono pre-amplifier with RCA output cables to connect to audio systems and powered speakers
- Features Integral Audio-Technica Dual Magnet phono cartridge with replaceable diamond stylus
- Platter is made of anti-resonance, die-cast aluminum to minimize vibration
- Damped lift/cueing mechanism with front-panel control and removable dust cover
- voltage:120 Volts; wattage: 3W; Motor is DC servo-controlled
- Output Level- Pre-amp "PHONO": 2.5 mV nominal at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec; Pre-amp "LINE": 150 mV nominal at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec
Attention to detail is one of the key features of Stir It Up. Made with eco-friendly bamboo wood and premium quality of rubber, this turntable is robust, portable, and beautiful.
With the USB outlet, listeners can convert their vinyl records into mp3 songs (digital file). The commitment of the company, House of Marley, towards the creation of a sustainable environment is praiseworthy. This turntable is made up of eco-friendly wooden material and embedded with circuits that conserve energy. This device is relatively expensive to other recommendations made by us.
Features: Capable of playing records at 33.3 and 45 RPM. Solid body with appealing design and diverse functionalities. Availability of regrind silicone matte 3.5mm headphone jack in front and RCA output.
- Belt Driven 2-speed Turntable 33/45 RPM with automatic pitch control and autostart feature
- Solid Bamboo plinth, solid aluminum alloy platter, metal tone arm and Regrind silicone matte 3.5mm headphone jack in front and RCA output
- USB port with cable included for Converting vinyl records to digital format
- Replaceable audio-technical mN cartridge and rewind dust cover included
One of the biggest names in the entertainment industry, Sony’ PS LX300usb is the simplest turntable available in the market. The brand name is an assurance of premium quality and long-term usability. Equipped with sophisticated chips, the belt-driven turntable is fully automated and comes pre-fitted with a cartridge.
The availability of a USB port allows the transformation of analog signals to digitalized formats. The Audio Software by Sony is multifunctional, which means that it can be used with several other peripheral devices.
Function: Ability to play records at 2 speeds – 33.3 and 45 RPM. Embedded with static balance tonearm and fully automatic operations. Diamond stylus for superb sound reproduction.
The company had a clear market segment in mind because this turntable is an ideal device for DJs who are continuously on the move. The performance and portability are two keynotes of this turntable by Numark.
This device is not designed to just decorate your space, but its functionalities will compel you to play with it. Flashy design and the inculcation of a rocking conspicuous, bold red color on the platter is symbolically a tribute to the pop culture.
Features: Robust design and vibrant panel. Capable of playing three playback speeds (33.3, 45, and 78 RPM). Additional features include a built-in speaker and a protective casing. AUX and RCA Outputs are available to connect external devices.
- 3-speed vinyl turntable (33 1/3, 45 and 78 RPM) with built-in Scratch Slide Switch
- Built-in speaker, protective case, and integrated carrying handle
- Wall-powered with included AC adapter or six batteries (not included)
- 1/8" aux input with adjustable volume; RCA line outputs; 1/4" & 1/8" headphone outs
- Class-compliant USB connection for PC recording
There are some devices that are produced to only fulfill the bare minimum needs of the consumers. Simple design with the core function of playing vinyl records, this turntable by Pioneer sounds like a quintessential sound box.
Every note is crystal clear, and every beat is sharp. One of the major drawbacks of this affordable turntable is the compromise that consumers have to make on the looks of this device. Fairly simple, this device is as simple as the old record players.
Features: Balanced, clear, and sharp sounds. Plays at 2 record speeds. Precision DC servo motor which aids in stabilization and rotation. Embedded with Phono EQ.
- Excellent sound design, just like the PLX-1000 the PLX-500 is built to produce a high-quality vinyl sound
- Easy digital recording by connecting the turntable to your PC or MAC via the USB out
- Use the PLX-500 to mix and scratch your vinyl record or combine the turntable with rekordbox dvs, a compatible DJ mixer and the RB-VS1-K Control Vinyl to play and perform your digital files.
- Cover Art Display - Put your record covers on display while listening to your vinyl thanks to the sleeve stand inside the dust cover
- Servo-type direct drive. Tone Arm - Height Adjustment Range: 6 mm
Well, we have pulled this device from the folds of the past. It is a blast from the past with a twist from today. This turntable deserves to be in our list of best turntables under $200 due to its elegant design and durable nature.
It might give a feeling of being somewhat bought from a hardware store, but this power-packed device is a bang for the buck. For novice DJs and musicians, this can be the perfect starting point of their music careers. Gemini has produced a turntable that focuses greatly on the functionalities rather than the aesthetics of the commodity.
Features: Manual belt-driven design. Capable of playing three record speeds (33.3, 45, and 78 RPM). Speed buttons and A +/-10% variable pitch slider to give you a personalized playback.
- A BLAST FROM THE PAST WITH A TWIST FROM TODAY: The Gemini TT-1100USB Turntable Uses A Classic Style Manual Belt-Drive, But Also Features a USB Port That Provides Connectivity To Both PC and Mac Systems, Finally Letting You Bridge Both Your Vinyl and Digital Track Seriess
- BUILT WITH REAL LIFE IN MIND: The TT-1100USB Turntable Is Built Tough, Supported By A Solid Alluminum Platter and Features An ABS Enclosure Base To House The Unit. Heavy But Adjustable Rubber Feet Add Support While Eleminating External Vibrations Or Feedback, and The Aluminum Tone Arm Supplies Superior Tracking and Skip Resistance In The Craziest Of Environments. The Durable Design Makes This The Perfect Turntable For Battles, Festivals, and Anything In Between
- DESIGNED FOR EASE OF USE: The TT-1100USB Turntable from Gemini Is Easy To Use With Its Soft-Touch MOTOR ON/OFF Button Paired With An LED Indicator Instantly Responds To Your Command, As Well As Simple One-Touch Variable 33, 45 and 78 RPM Speed Buttons and A +/-10% Variable Pitch Slider To Give You pPersonalized Playback. These Buttons Feature LED Indicators That Respond To Your Touch For Added Ease Of Use
- BONUSES TO UNBOX: Included With The TT-1100USB Turntable Are An HD-15 Headshell, 45 Adaptor, A Felt Slipmat, Detachable RCA and Ground Cables, and A USB Cable To Fulfil Your DJ Turntable Neetds. This Turntable Comes With Audacity Recording Software Included
- TRUST GEMINI, AN INDUSTRY LEADER: History Has Always Been An Important Part Of The Gemini Culture. Since 1974, We've Provided Innovative Products For DJs, Musicians, Sound Contractors and Professional Installers Around The Globe. This Is What Drives Us As An Industry Leader Is DJ and Audio Equipment
The company, music hall, is known for making premium quality turntables and other accessories related to it. Music Hall USB1 is one of the cheapest options offered by the company. With an adjustable forearm and an anti-skate system, this device is inculcated with a removable cartridge.
The device is made up of plastic which fails to give it a robust feel. Plastic body may not be attractive or eye appealing, but its portability is a huge benefit. This option is perfect as an entry-level turntable.
Features: Quiet belt-driven mechanism. Capable of playing two record speeds (33.3 and 45 RPM). The encoder of analog signals into mp3 format and transferring to iPods. S-shaped needle is a distinct feature.
A powerhouse of performance and good looks, Jensen JTA-230, is a good option under $200. With 2 built-in speakers that sound mediocre, this device has external output units of AUX or line-out jacks to connect with periphery speakers and amplifiers.
The makers of this turntable push a bit further with a straight, dynamically balanced tonearm that enhances tracking and makes scratching a facile.
Features: Capable of playing three record speeds (33.3, 45, and 78 RPM). Includes AUX and RCA line-outs for connecting external devices to the turntable. Pitch Control option with volume adjuster. Glass lid to protect the platter from dust.
- Belt Driven 3-Speed Stereo Turntable 33/45/78 RPM with Stereo Speaker System
- USB Port with Cable included for Converting Vinyl Records to Digital Format, with Software Included for Recording, Editing and Converting Your Audio Content to MP3 Format
- Auxiliary Input Jack for Connecting Your iPod, MP3 or other Digital Audio Players. Includes RCA Line-out Jacks and Stereo Headphone Jack
- Pitch Control for Adjusting the Record Speed; Volume Control, Tone Control
- Power Indicator, Auto Stop Switch, Dust Cover. Power: AC 120V 60Hz. If you are purchasing and shipping to an international country, product may be damaged if you do not have have the correct voltage requirements.
The T62 has a sleek design, great built quality, and even better sound production. The device is sturdy and beautiful, and this appearance might be at the cost of compromising some of the contemporary functionalities like a
USB port. The value proposition of this product by Stanton is the flawless sound quality which is clear, loud, and distortion-free.
Features: Capable of playing 2 speeds (33.3 and 45 RPM). Contains a pitch fader which controls tempo and pitch. Includes RCA stereo output.
- An easy to operate belt-driven turntable with professional features
- Features a straight tone arm providing superior tracking capability for scratch DJs
- Also features 2 playback speeds (33 or 45 RPM) and 2 start/stop switches for mix or battle setup
- Designed with a pitch control slider with +/- 10% adjustment
- Includes RCA cables, slip mat, dust cover, and a Stanton 300 cartridge pre-mounted on the headshell
- Also includes the full version of Deckadance DVS software
An old-fashioned wooden box which resembles an entrance to magical realms. This turntable is a perfect decorative piece which resonates with wooden designs of the house.
A belt-driven device which is aesthetically appealing, Victrola Nostalgic Aviator Turntable is affordable, sturdy, and powerful. The device might look gigantic in size and shape, but it is powerful with diverse functionalities.
Features: Capable of playing 3 record players (33.3, 45, and 78 RPM). Built-in Bluetooth connectivity. With a USB output, the analog signals can be converted easily to digital format. 3.5mm AUX jack and RCA output allow the connectivity to external devices.
- Three-speed Turntable (33 1/3, 45, 78 RPM) plays all of your vinyl records and favorite Albums
- Built-in Bluetooth to wirelessly play music from your Bluetooth enabled device. No cords needed.
- Record directly from vinyl, CD, and cassette directly to USB. No computer needed!
- Built-in CD, Cassette and AM/FM radio with Rotary tuner
- 3.5mm aux-in for music from any non-bluetooth device (includes cable), RCA aux-in and headphone jack
This is our second recommendation concerning the vintage category of turntables. The D&L Vintage Record Player is a culmination of multiple functionalities.
In one package, you are getting everything that you need, from Bluetooth compatibility to USB/SD output. Everything at an affordable price.
The leather coated exterior of the turntable gives it a classic look which is further improved by the old school knobs and frequency meters.
Features: 3 playback speeds (33.3, 45, and 78 RPM). Bluetooth connectivity of up to 33 feet. Radio, cassette player and external output are built-in. Upon purchase, you get 1 replacement stylus needle and 12-month warranty and 24 hours customer service.
- 3-Speed Turntable :The classic turntable plays 33, 45 and 78 RPM records in 7, 10, and 12-inch sizes.
- Bluetooth Capability: Streams music wirelessly up to 33 Feet. Listen to your music from your Bluetooth comfortable device with ease. Just connect and Play.
- Turntable with Recording Function: You can record from vinyl records, CD's and cassettes directly to USB. No computer or software needed!
- 7-in-1 Bluetooth Turntable: CD player, cassette player, built-in Bluetooth to wirelessly play music from your Bluetooth enabled device, FM Radio, USB/SD Play & Encoding, 3.5mm Aux-in jack for playing music from any non-Bluetooth device (cable included), headphone jack, and RCA Aux-in jack.
- What You Get: 3 Speed Turntable, box package, manual in English, 1 Replacement Stylus Needle and 12-month warranty and 24 hours customer service
Now that we have concluded our list of the best turntables under $200, it is time that we move towards the factors that determine which turntables suit your preferences. The following guidelines will allow you to select the most appropriate turntable for yourself:
Knowing the Needs
Music enthusiasts don’t only use turntables, they are also used as instruments by DJs. If your needs include mixing extremely diverse sounds produced by different records for producing music, then the factor of playback speed will be essential.
Different records play at different rotating speeds. The old vinyl records which played at 78 RPM often had only 3-4 minutes’ worth of playback time.
These records not only had limited capacity, but the quality of, sound also deteriorated with time due to the wear and tear. If you have a lot of old records passed on by your ancestors, then it would be a good idea to buy a turntable capable of playing records at all 3 speeds (33.3, 45, and 78 RPM).
If the prime goal of using a turntable is to decorate that dull corner in your house, then the functionality part of the device would be overshadowed by the aesthetical elements.
For a professional music producer, direct-driven disc players would be more useful. There are two different categories of turntables; there are devices which are capable of providing private listening option whereas there are options which have built-in speakers.
Should You Go With A Manual or Automatic Turntable?
Manual turntables have the tonearm that needs to be physically pulled upward or towards the grooves. Automatic turntables have the feature of automatically pull the needle once the record grooves have ended.
This option might seem trivial, but it forms the bedrock of ease of usability. If you play the turntable and go to sleep, you would never want to leave your bed and pull the needle up once the song has ended. But if you are old school and love the idea of operating the turntable at your whim, then manual turntables are your product category to enter.
The rotary motor in the turntable plays an important role in producing sounds. There are two types of turntables, direct-driven, and belt-driven. Both have unique functionalities along with their advantages and disadvantages.
The direct-driven type rotates the platter near the motor. When the motor directly revolves the platter, the playback speed is constant and stable. Less noise distraction is created with this mechanism which also reduces vibrations.
On the other hand, the belt-driven mechanism works in such a manner that the plate is indirectly connected with an elastic band which rotates the record. Less accurate speeds impede the correct flow of sound.
Which External Turntable Accessories Should You Get?
The AUX and RCA Output play an important role; if the turntable speakers are substandard and produce the buzzing sound when connecting to external speakers would be significant. The basic function of a turntable is to produce premium sound, and if it fails to do that, then external accessories are useful in compensating for the missing elements. On the other hand, DJs would definitely love to have a USB outlet in the turntable as it allows the transformation of analog signals into digital tunes for smartphones.
Planning a Budget
It must be kept in mind that buying a turntable is not a one-time investment, you have to continually buy records to play and even purchase the needed and tonearm in case of wear and tear. Buying a device that is cheap can be a detrimental choice in the long term as the lack of availability of its components might result in the loss of entire investment. If you are low on budget, then check out the eBay and Amazon stores that sell second-hand turntables. The buyer must closely examine the platter conditions and sharpness of the needle along with the rotary motor to avoid any losses.
There are turntables that are equipped with Bluetooth, a CD player, and even radio presets, it is important to have understood the individual needs. If you are planning to replace your entire sound system with a turntable, then buying one with USB port, Bluetooth connectivity, and AUX outlet would be useful. If you are planning to work in the music industry and turn your passion into professional endeavors, then it is important to look at the element of portability as DJs often have to travel and carry their equipment.
Do All Turntables Come With A USB Port?
No, not all of them do. This depends on the type of turntable you’re buying. There are analog turntables, Bluetooth turntables, and USB turntables.